- Oneness and Separateness: From Infant to Individual
Kaplan, L.; New York: Simon and Schuster, 1998 (paperback)
A poetic book about the first three years of life.
This page provides book, article, and website recommendations. Topics include child development, military families, teaching about psychoanalysis and psychoanalytic psychotherapy, and website links.
Infancy and Preschool
- The Magic Years: Understanding & Handling the Problems of Early Childhood
Fraiberg, S.; New York: Scribner, 1959 (paperback)
A classic about the inner world of preschool children, written by a child analyst and renowned researcher.
- Dibs in Search of Self
Axline, V.; Boston: Houghton Mifflin, 1964
The touching journey of a young child’s experiences in play therapy.
Elementary School Years
- Playground Politics: Understanding the Emotional Life of Your School-Age Child
Greenspan, S. I. & Salman J.; New York: Addison-Wesley Publishing Company, 1993;
An easily read book incorporating five principles of healthy parenting throughout the text.
- Taking Play Seriously
Henig, R. M.; The New York Times Magazine 02/17/08 – nytimes.com
The contribution of play to psychological development at all ages.
- Marguerite Kelly’s Family Almanac
Kelly, M.; New York: Simon and Schuster, 1994 (paperback)
A columnist with psychologically informed advice for parents. Also see her online columns from The Washington Post.
Sarnoff, C. A.; New York: Aronson, 1976
A classic in helping therapists and interested non-therapists understand development, both normal and problematic, in the school-aged child. Note in particular the first two chapters.
- Adolescence: Farewell to Childhood
Kaplan, L.; New York: Simon and Schuster, 1984
Exploring the very challenging transitional issues for adolescent females from pre-puberty to adulthood, this book alternates the intellectual discussion of many complex issues with a creative, almost free-form ability to consider facets of adolescent psychological development from other fields, including sociology, culture, neurology, and critical legal studies of women. It will appeal to those who have a deep interest in the development of adult women in all its aspects. Review written by Cynthia Barnes.
- The Inside Story on Teen Girls
Rubenstein, A. & Zager, K.; Washington, DC
American Psychological Association, 2002
For adolescent girls and their parents to read together.
- Facts For Families
These facts for families cover over 90 issues affecting children, adolescents and their families, from ADHD, bipolar, and chronic physical illness, to Violence on TV, http://aacap.org
Some of these resources were compiled by Dr. Mary A. Fristad.
Books for Children
- Brandon & the Bipolar Bear – T. Anglada
- My Bipolar, Roller Coaster, Feelings Book & Workbook – B. Hebert
- The Storm in My Brain – Child & Adolescent Bipolar Foundation (CABF): 1-847-256-8525, www.thebalancedmind.org
- Kid Power Tactics for Dealing with Depression – N. & S. Dubuque
- Matt, The Moody Hermit Crab – C. McGee
- Anger Mountain – B. Hebert
Books for Adolescents
- When Nothing Matters Anymore: A Survival Guide for Depressed Teens – B. Cobain
- Recovering from Depression: A Workbook for Teens – M. E. Copeland & S. Copans
- Conquering the Beast Within: How I Fought Depression & Won & How You Can, Too – C. Irwin
- Everything You Need to Know about Bipolar Disorder & Manic Depressive Illness – M.A. Summers
Books for Adults
- Out of the Darkened Room: Protecting the Children and Strengthening the Family When a Parent is Depressed – Beardslee
- Living Without Depression & Manic Depression – Copeland
- An Unquiet Mind – Jamison
- Thoughts & Feelings: Taking Control of Your Moods & Your Life – McKay, Davis & Fannin
- The Bipolar Survival Guide: What You and Your Family Need to Know – Miklowitz
- Winter Blues: Seasonal Affective Disorder- What it is and How to Overcome it – Rosenthal
Books for Parents
- Raising a Moody Child: How to Cope with Depression and Bipolar Disorder – Fristad & Goldberg-Arnold
- New Hope for Children & Teens with Bipolar Disorder – Birmaher
- The Ups and Downs of Raising a Bipolar Child – Lederman & Fink
- If Your Child is Bipolar – The Parent-to-Parent Guide to Living with and
- Loving a Bipolar Child – Singer & Gurrentz
- A Parent’s Survival Guide to Childhood Depression – Dubuque
- The Bipolar Child– Papalos & Papalos
- Intense Minds – Anglada
Teaching About Psychoanalysis and Psychoanalytic Psychotherapy
- Resources for educators in high schools, colleges and universities, psychology graduate programs, medical schools, and psychiatric residencies https://apsa.org/content/teaching-psychoanalysis
- “A Brochure on Child and Adolescent Analysis” (for a free copy of this brochure, please contact Dr. Adler)