- Oneness and Separateness: From Infant to Individual
Kaplan, L.; New York: Simon and Schuster, 1998 (paperback)
A poetic book about the first three years of life.
- The Magic Years: Understanding & Handling the Problems of Early Childhood
Fraiberg, S.; New York: Scribner, 1959 (paperback)
A classic about the inner world of preschool children, written by a child analyst and renowned researcher.
- Dibs in Search of Self
Axline, V.; Boston: Houghton Mifflin, 1964
The touching journey of a young child’s experiences in play therapy.
- Playground Politics: Understanding the Emotional Life of Your School-Age Child
Greenspan, S. I. & Salman J.; New York: Addison-Wesley Publishing Company, 1993;
An easily read book incorporating five principles of healthy parenting throughout the text.
- Taking Play Seriously
Henig, R. M.; The New York Times Magazine 02/17/08 – nytimes.com
The contribution of play to psychological development at all ages.
- Marguerite Kelly’s Family Almanac
Kelly, M.; New York: Simon and Schuster, 1994 (paperback)
A columnist with psychologically informed advice for parents. Also see her online columns from The Washington Post.
Sarnoff, C. A.; New York: Aronson, 1976
A classic in helping therapists and interested non-therapists understand development, both normal and problematic, in the school-aged child. Note in particular the first two chapters.
- Adolescence: Farewell to Childhood
Kaplan, L.; New York: Simon and Schuster, 1984
Exploring the very challenging transitional issues for adolescent females from pre-puberty to adulthood, this book alternates the intellectual discussion of many complex issues with a creative, almost free-form ability to consider facets of adolescent psychological development from other fields, including sociology, culture, neurology, and critical legal studies of women. It will appeal to those who have a deep interest in the development of adult women in all its aspects. Review written by Cynthia Barnes.
- The Inside Story on Teen Girls
Rubenstein, A. & Zager, K.; Washington, DC
American Psychological Association, 2002
For adolescent girls and their parents to read together.
- Facts For Families
These facts for families cover over 90 issues affecting children, adolescents and their families, from ADHD, bipolar, and chronic physical illness, to Violence on TV, http://aacap.org
- Brandon & the Bipolar Bear – T. Anglada
- My Bipolar, Roller Coaster, Feelings Book & Workbook – B. Hebert
- The Storm in My Brain – Child & Adolescent Bipolar Foundation (CABF): 1-847-256-8525, www.thebalancedmind.org
- Kid Power Tactics for Dealing with Depression – N. & S. Dubuque
- Matt, The Moody Hermit Crab – C. McGee
- Anger Mountain – B. Hebert
- When Nothing Matters Anymore: A Survival Guide for Depressed Teens – B. Cobain
- Recovering from Depression: A Workbook for Teens – M. E. Copeland & S. Copans
- Conquering the Beast Within: How I Fought Depression & Won & How You Can, Too – C. Irwin
- Everything You Need to Know about Bipolar Disorder & Manic Depressive Illness – M.A. Summers
- Out of the Darkened Room: Protecting the Children and Strengthening the Family When a Parent is Depressed – Beardslee
- Living Without Depression & Manic Depression – Copeland
- An Unquiet Mind – Jamison
- Thoughts & Feelings: Taking Control of Your Moods & Your Life – McKay, Davis & Fannin
- The Bipolar Survival Guide: What You and Your Family Need to Know – Miklowitz
- Winter Blues: Seasonal Affective Disorder- What it is and How to Overcome it – Rosenthal
- Raising a Moody Child: How to Cope with Depression and Bipolar Disorder – Fristad & Goldberg-Arnold
- New Hope for Children & Teens with Bipolar Disorder – Birmaher
- The Ups and Downs of Raising a Bipolar Child – Lederman & Fink
- If Your Child is Bipolar – The Parent-to-Parent Guide to Living with and
- Loving a Bipolar Child – Singer & Gurrentz
- A Parent’s Survival Guide to Childhood Depression – Dubuque
- The Bipolar Child– Papalos & Papalos
- Intense Minds – Anglada